Old Guisborian Lodge 7793
Old Guisborian Lodge Meet 4th Friday, March, April, May, September, October,at 7.00pm
Installation 4th Saturday November 4.00 pm.
Guisborough Grammar School was endowed by Robert Pursglove, the last Prior of Guisborough in 1561. The original Charter (25th June) bearing the signature of Queen Elizabeth 1 and the Great Seal of England is still preserved and can be seen at the School (now a Sixth Form College).
Linked to the Grammar School was a flourishing Old Boys’ Association. The idea of an Old Boys’ Masonic Lodge had been discussed many times over the years by members of the Association and to coincide with the School’s Quatercentenary, in 1961, the Old Guisborian Lodge No 7793 obtained its Charter on 13th September 1961.
On Saturday, February 10th 1962, the Consecration of the new Lodge took place in the School Hall, followed by a banquet for 240 guests in the Church Hall, Guisborough, at a cost of 13/6d. (67p) each. The Consecration was performed by The Most Hon. The Marquess of Zetland, Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master and Worshipful Brother J.D. Buttery, PPGSuptWorks was installed as the first Worshipful Master. The Initiation fee was £25 and the Joining fee £9.
The Lodge started with 27 Members from several local Lodges.
In 1970, Guisborough Grammar School was reorganised and named Prior Pursglove Sixth Form College, into which girls were admitted. Originally, membership of the Lodge was restricted to Old Boys’ of the School and to those closely connected to it. In 1973, it was decided, with some reluctance, to remove this restriction and today the Lodge welcomes applications from any suitable gentleman.
In 2012 the Lodge will celebrate its 50 year anniversary